Week 4:

Hello family and friends,

This is Elder Hiatt, currently training to serve a mission in São Paulo Brazil. I will be sending these emails once a week for the next two years. If you don´t want to receive these, know someone else who wants to get them, or have anything else you want to tell me, you can contact me at john.hiatt@missionary.org. If you missed any of my previous emails, they are all posted at https://johnhiattmission.blogspot.com. Thank you!

A few interesting things happened this week. In no particular order, here they are:

* One of the other companionships in my hallway has been talking with one of the people around the CTM on preparation days (Wednesday). They left last week, but before they left they asked me to continue talking with him. As many of you know, I have difficulty talking to people, but I did manage to get his name, which the other elders hadn´t managed in three weeks of talking to him. We´ll see him again tomorrow, and see if we can get him to read any of the Book of Mormon, which he has in Portuguese and English because he knows English better than Portuguese.

* My district was asked to bless and pass the sacrament this week. Our district leader and one other elder blessed it, and four other elders including my companion passed it. I didn´t, for a reason that will be explained later.

* I mentioned last week that I was trying to read the Book of Mormon before I leave. Two days ago, I was three days (90 pages) behind, but I have caught up since then. Now, I´m only one and a half days behind, and I can read for another half hour or so tonight. I´m still on track to finish.

* I had my first request to play the piano this week. For devotionals and choir rehearsals, each district is asked to do some musical number where all the district members sing. My district did "A Child´s Prayer" a week or two ago. Another district (Brazilians learning Spanish) asked me to play "Vinde a Cristo" (Come unto Christ) which was apparently the youth theme song in 2014. I played that with them just before the devotional Sunday night.

* There is a district here learning Japanese. For some reason, one of my roommates has the Book of Mormon in English, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, and Japanese. Last night, I read from

* One of the other companionships from my week, but not my district, has noticed that my companion and I are nearly always in our classroom studying, while the rest of our district studies (sleeps) in their rooms. They like to talk to us, and today one of them told me a new joke: What do you call epileptic lettuce? Seizure salad. (Peter, this is a good joke. You should remember it.)

* Also, on Sunday I was asked to play the piano (as an organ, since all of the pianos here are electronic and can do that) during sacrament meeting. This is why I couldn´t pass the sacrament. I will be playing it for the next two weeks until I leave.

There were probably other things that happened this week, but I don´t remember what they were. They must not have been important.

My grandfather William Hiatt sends out an email every week taking a scripture and explaining it, in English and in Japanese, since he served his mission in Japan and knows a lot of Japanese people. Starting this week, I´m going to do something similar, but in Portuguese, since I can. (Since several of you speak Portuguese better than I do, please feel free to tell me how I can improve.)

Morôni 8:16
Eis que falo ousadamente, tendo autoridade de Deus; e não temo o que o homem possa fazer, porquê o perfetio amor lança fora todo o medo.

Moroni 8:16
Behold, I speak with boldness, having authority of God, and I fear not what man can do, for perfect love casteth out all fear.

Nessa escritura, o profeta Mórmon explica como pode falar e escriver os cartas e mensagems nos capítulos 7, 8, e 9. Ele tem chamado de Deus. Ele ama as pessoas. Ele quer que todos podem voltar à presença de Deus, e vai falar todo que é necessidade por isso.

In this scripture, the prophet Mormon explains how he can write such bold letters and messages contained in Moroni 7, 8, and 9. He has been called of God. He loves the people. He desires that all can return to the presence of God, and will do whatever he must to achieve that.

Eu preciso falar ousadamente como Mórmon.

I need to speak boldly, like Mormon.

Thank you,

Elder Hiatt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6: Última Semana no CTM

Week 29: Volta à Missão

Week 18: El Fin del Trenamiento